HEALTH & SAFETY POLICY
- General Statement
- Harriet Ellis fully recognises the duties placed upon it under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and all other relevant legislation. The company is committed to ensuring it at least complies with the minimum requirement and wherever reasonably practicable shall exceed them. It also recognises the obligation it has to others with regard to its activities including the funding bodies in UK responsible for provision of youth training as well as other partners in relation to delivery of training.
- The company is committed to working with these partners to ensure a safe and healthy working environment. The company recognises the duties it has to not only its staff, but also to trainees, contractors, apprentices, visitors and any others who may be affected by its activities and shall adopt the principle of zero tolerance with regard to accident prevention. This principle is underpinned by the acceptance of the company that no accident at work is acceptable.
- Harriet Ellis also recognises the position it holds within the Recruitment and Training Industry and as such is committed to the production of high-quality Health and Safety training materials.
- Policy Objectives
- The company will:
- Provide and maintain a safe, healthy working environment with safe access and outlets;
- Ensure the safety of staff who are mobile workers or those who work from work.
- Ensure that trainees and Apprentices under its Training Agency are placed in a safe and healthy working environment;
- Provide all necessary safety devices, protective equipment and supervise their use.
- Maintain a constant and continuing improvement in all aspects of safety, in particular by introducing and monitoring safety procedures.
- Consult employees on matters relating to workplace health, safety and welfare, development and review of policy and procedures through safety management established within the company.
- Communicate relevant Health and Safety information through Notice boards in the workplace and the internal e-mail.
- Ensure all processes and systems of work are designed to take account of health and safety and are properly supervised at all times.
- competent people are appointed to assist us in meeting our statutory duties including, where appropriate, specialists from outside of the company
- Consult with all employees on matters relating to health, safety and welfare
- Ensure adequate facilities and arrangements will be maintained to enable employees to raise issues of health and safety
- Provide each employee with instruction and training as is necessary to enable the safe performance of work activities
- Ensure all arrangements are brought to employees’ attention and are monitored and reviewed to ensure that they are effective.
2.2 Staff, contractors & freelance workers also have a duty to co-operate fully in the operation of this Policy by:
- co-operating with management to enable all statutory duties to be complied with
- Working safely and efficiently, complying with any instruction, information & training in accordance with all procedures and statutory obligations.
- taking reasonable care of their own health and safety and the health and safety of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions
- Familiarising themselves with the health and safety arrangements that apply to them and their work functions.
- Immediately reporting incidents (including accidents, near misses, which have results in, or may lead to injury) to their line Manager.
- Immediately reporting any incidents within the Dental Practice directly to the GDC if required.
- Assisting with the investigation of accidents and aiding the introduction of measures to prevent a recurrence.
- Policy Implementation
3.1 The company has appointed Karen Purser as a responsible for Health & Safety who will ensure continual strategic direction with regard to health, safety and welfare in Harriet Ellis.
3.2 Harriet Ellis shall appoint local advisors competent in Health and Safety who will provide general advice on policy implementation.
3.3 The Health and Safety Officer shall maintain all safety records and ensure policies & processes are in place for its continual improvement.
3.4 Department Managers are responsible for implementation and operation of the safety management system in their departments and will be accountable to the Director responsible for Health and Safety. Managers will be supported in this function by the Health and Safety Officer.
3.5 The Operational staff handbook which contains health and Safety information will give further guidance on arrangements for putting into effect this policy.
3.6 This policy shall be reviewed whenever circumstances require it such as changes to legislation or activities and at least annually.
3.7 This policy shall be issued to all new members of staff and be made available to all other interested parties.
This policy will be included in the induction of new staff.
- Fire and Evacuation Procedures
4.1 Harriet Ellis understands how dangerous a fire can be and will therefore take all reasonable action to ensure that fire is prevented and that in the event of such an event, staff, service users and visitors can be safely evacuated following the Evacuation Policy.
4.2 Harriet Ellis has trained Fire Marshalls throughout the company.
- Accidents and First Aid
5.1 Harriet Ellis understands the need of all accidents and incidents to be reported and adequate records kept to review and resolve any patterns that may be identified.
All accidents and incidents are to be reported and logged on the Accident & Incident log on the Company T Drive and the Operations Manager must be informed of these. A hard copy log is also available. The Operations Manager will then decide whether any actions are to be taken to prevent further repeat incidents.
5.2 Harriet Ellis has trained First Aider’s throughout the company.
- Process for Reporting Health & Safety Matters
6.1 All Staff will be made aware through their induction and ongoing training of the following Health and Safety Process:
- Record full details of Health & Safety incident, including dates, times and location of incident.
- Email full report to Karen Purser with email headed – Health and Safety Matter.
- Karen Purser will then log the incident on Health and Safety log.
- All Health and Safety issues will be discussed during the Management Meeting for actions to be agreed.
- Karen Purser will give advice on action to take.
- Governing Bodies, such as the GDC will be notified if necessary.